Thousend times thanks!


To all the followers of the blog, to anyone who has been supportive of Frank or us in the last months and especially after his untimely death we want to say thanks from the bottom of our hearts. In the week after his passing we received so much warmth, stories, care and love, hardly describable. To us it was a very precious and valuable week and it was so good to have Frank at home where so many of his friends could visit him. And all the help, stories and info shared in that week led to a beautiful goodbye ceremony on a beautiful sunny autumn day. For those of you who could not attend, or those of you who wish to reread the funeral speeches, we publice them here (in dutch and english) with some pictures in grateful memory of, and tributed to Frank.We will miss him dearly, thanks for being with him and with us, one way or another,

On behalf of my family and his closest friends, Esther

Foto's Frank

donderdag 15 september 2011

Dynusars

yesterday evening I watched Planet Sinosaur on BBC 1, followed by Who dou you think you sre. All in all, a good solid nights vieuwing. OnPlanet Dinosaur they showed reconstructions of two nre species, the Spinosaur sn the Carcharedototodonsaurus.A beast 17 metres long and weighing several tonnes! I am glad they ar exrinct by now, because if they were around today, I at most would make a tasty snack fo them. This reminds me of a1930'sboys adventurenovel, called Voyage to Mars I used to have. In it, ouintrepid heros travel to Mars by balloon and find there theremnants of an old civilisation. However, it is beset by wilddinosaurslike I have just described. But men would not be men if they did not remember the fomula for gunpowder.Bye, bye, dino's!
all of this gives me time to wonder: What is it good for? Has anything I have done in my life been worthwhile? I'd like to think severeal thingswere, but I'd like to hear your commrnts. I only hope I have not beenboring evereybody out of their skulls.

In closing:at 4.00 hrs. I will walk again!


Greetings

Frank

5 opmerkingen:

  1. I did not walk, but cycle a bit.

    Frank

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. You ask "Has anything I have done in my life been worthwhile?" How about being a good friend? I think my life would have been the poorer without you in it. Also, there's this one memorial in Oosterbeek you put your soul into. I think that qualifies as "worthwile". That's more than a lot of other people achieve.

    Walter

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. PS leading a worthwhile life and boring people out of their skulls are not mutually exclusive you know... (grin)

    Evil Zaag

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Of course Walter has the best possible answer, but if you feel worthwhile endeavours are only those that will be remembered in hundreds of years my answer is: why not start now?

    Your most valuable asset is your head and it's still functioning pretty well. All else can be cheated with. Start now with making some of your dreams come true. Write that book, design that game.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. It is doubtful whether the chapters Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Dzjengis Kahn, Napoleon Bonaparte, Frank van den Bergh will ever appear in the same book. But your life has been worthwhile, think of the Bevrijdingsmuseum, lots of books mentioning your assistance, this Air Despatch memorial, and indeed friendship.

    And it still is. Grandmaster Jan Hein Donner suffered a stroke like you, even worse, and he still produced four books in four years. Some of the short stories he wrote are among his best since he had to type very carefully with only one finger.

    Think positively: you still can do a lot. Take your time regretting what has been lost, but do not let it stop you!

    Niek

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen