Thousend times thanks!


To all the followers of the blog, to anyone who has been supportive of Frank or us in the last months and especially after his untimely death we want to say thanks from the bottom of our hearts. In the week after his passing we received so much warmth, stories, care and love, hardly describable. To us it was a very precious and valuable week and it was so good to have Frank at home where so many of his friends could visit him. And all the help, stories and info shared in that week led to a beautiful goodbye ceremony on a beautiful sunny autumn day. For those of you who could not attend, or those of you who wish to reread the funeral speeches, we publice them here (in dutch and english) with some pictures in grateful memory of, and tributed to Frank.We will miss him dearly, thanks for being with him and with us, one way or another,

On behalf of my family and his closest friends, Esther

Foto's Frank

zondag 4 september 2011

airborne March disaster

Yesterday I went on the Airborne March inOosterbeek with my friebnds louis and Mathieu. We did not even get halfway before things went wrong. InOn a2wooded trackthe left front wheel of my wheeelchair broke. The spokes broke off st the axle a an I could notmove. i Itnymore.it turnsout the whheels were mase ofshoddy plastic instead of metal. Louis and Mathieu and Rense got me to a first aid podst. There I was picked up by a minivan of the Renkum fire department who brought meback to the parking lot where Louis had parked his car. All in all, by 17.0000hrs I was back at Kalorama.
There were severeal light points yesterdy.1)The help by the Renkum Fire Department. my hat is off to them. are truly wonderful professionals.
2) the prsence of Door an Roeland, daughter and son of my friend Louis Kolkman. These are teo delightful kids, and to me it was sheer pleasure to have them around. At times I nnoticed I was wishing they were my kids instrad of Louis'. last week they were active with thr Limburg Gestival in Nijmegen as well. i take great pleasure in lending them my Terry Jones DVD oN the Middle Ages and my Funcken books on the same subject. To me passing on what I have learnt or collected to others who are interested is one of the great plraessures of life (that includes you, Zaagstra!). Ifvthe kids of a good friend can profit by this, I feel so much better and richer!

Greetings fron my room at Kalorama

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Aw man!!! That sucks golfballs through a gardenhose! At least you are still ok. Did they at least give you the Medal? All those who did not think to check the wheelchair's 4WD all-terrain capabilities shouldbe suitably punished (and that includes me I'm sad to say).

    I'm glad to see that Louis has suitably infected & indoctrinated his kids. This is a Good Sign and shows that the three of us should have no problems assimilating Angy's kid into the Dark Side (and I don't mean Apple!). Of course, it will help that we will have mum's full cooperation...

    De Zaag

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Interestlingly, the word verification thingie for the above post was "carep". How suitable...

    De Zaag

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Planning on a transfer to Murphy's Heroes, mate? (Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.") You even posted the disaster twice... Cannot be! Remember, you are Casus Belli to the core, or rather, you are the core of Casus Belli!

    Good to read you had a good time anyway!

    Niek

    P.S. Time for a New Model wheelchair?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. And up again early the next day I see. Where did you get the energy? I'm still recovering from yesterday.

    I suggest we get a stronger, better wheel chair. Possibly with jet engines, flame throwers and light artillery.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hi Frank,

    I was glad to see you at the Airborne march. How sad that your wheel chair broke down and you had to stop early. I did'nt bring my shield and a squad of Legionaries so we could'n take you along on top of it. I hope you still enjoyed being there and soaking up some of the atmosphere & enjoying the only day of summer (or so it seems).

    Greetings, Jip Meijer

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Murphy indeed.
    We went there with Chris, Rense, other Frank, Marieke and my two kids. No Mathieu anywhere...
    And Frank does not seem to graps yet, that my daughter is the one interested in knights and stuff, and not my son (or not as much anyway....).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen